Mental Health Resources
A Healthy Farm is Nothing Without a Healthy Farmer
As Mississippi farmers, ranchers and rural community members, challenges to our way of life are inevitable, especially those out of our control. In the last decade, we have faced flooding, lower commodity prices, trade tariffs, a global pandemic and much more.
These uncontrollable factors can create stress, potentially leading to serious affects on your well-being. It is important to stay vigilant in checking on yourself, employees, or family to manage stress and remain resilient. As farmers, we take great care of our land and livestock, but we are not always great at taking care of ourselves. It’s time to put yourself first.
We know times are tough. If you or someone you know is struggling with stress, anxiety, loneliness, depression, addiction or other mental health challenges, please reach out and ask for help. Your mental health and wellness are important to us. You matter. You are not alone.
If a person exhibits any of the following mental health warning signs, please reach out and ask for help.
- Excessive worrying or fear
- Feeling excessively sad or lot
- Confused thinking or problems concentrating and learning
- Extreme mood changes, including uncontrollable “highs”
- Prolonged or strong feelings of irritability or anger
- Avoiding friends and social activities
- Changes in sleeping habits or feeling tired and low energy
- Changes in eating habits such as increased hunger or lack of appetite
- Abuse of substances like alcohol or drugs
- Multiple physical ailments without obvious causes (such as headaches, stomach aches, vague and ongoing “aches and pains”)
- Thinking about suicide
- Inability to carry out daily activities or handle daily problems and stress
Mental health is a very important issue that is not often discussed, and in rural areas, mental health care can be hard to access. Below are a list of resources available to anyone who needs them.
Your Primary Care Provider
Mental Health Professional
Urgent Care Center
Phone & Text Lines
Crisis Text Line: Text TALK to 741-741
Text with a trained counselor from the Crisis Text Line for free, 24/7
- American Farm Bureau Federation – Farm Town Strong
- Community Health Center Association of Mississippi (CHCAMS)
Mississippi Farm Bureau Federation Articles